- January 2006
- 375g Japanese sushi rice
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 75g piece sushi-grade skinned tuna
- 75g piece sushi-grade skinned salmon fillet
- A little wasabi paste
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 25g Japanese pickled ginger
- Wash the rice well, then drain and put into a saucepan with 600ml cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and leave for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the vinegar with the sugar and salt until the sugar has dissolved. Gradually stir the vinegar mixture into the rice.
- Using slightly wet hands, shape the cooked rice into small, neat rectangles. Cut the fish across the grain into thin, rectangular slices. Smear the top of each block of rice with a little wasabi paste and cover neatly with a slice of raw fish.
- Mix the soy sauce with the mirin and pour into individual dipping saucers. Serve the sushi with the dipping sauce and pickled ginger.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
This Japanese inspired recipe for vegetarian sushi squares makes an easy and sophisticated canapé.