Roast fennel, clementine, burrata and chilli salad
- January 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 45-50 min
For a warming winter salad which brings the heat as well as a desirably creamy texture, give this warm roast fennel and clementine salad a go. Gill Meller suggests using tangerines iIf you can’t get hold of clementines.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28.3g (10.8g saturated)
- 5.8g (5.9g sugars)
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, sliced into thin wedges
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 pinches chilli flakes
- 4-5 clementines, peeled, pith removed and the flesh sliced into 0.5cm rounds
- 2 burrata or buffalo mozzarella balls
- 2 handfuls bitter winter leaves such as radicchio or treviso
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Arrange the fennel wedges in a large roasting tray or baking dish. Drizzle with half the olive oil, sprinkle with the fennel seeds and chilli flakes, then season well. Cover the tray with compostable baking paper or foil, then roast for 25-30 minutes or until the fennel is tender at its thickest part.
- Arrange the sliced clementines over and around the fennel, turning them to coat them in the olive oil in the tray/dish, seasoning with salt and pepper as you arrange them. Return the tray/dish to the oven, increase the heat to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7, then roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes until the fennel is caramelised and the clementines are blistering round the edges.
- Remove the tray/dish and use a spatula to carefully lift the fennel and citrus out onto a large serving platter. Tear the burrata/mozzarella into chunky pieces and strew over the top of the fennel. Scatter over the leaves, then finish by trickling over the remaining olive oil. Season everything lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then serve (see Make Ahead).
Leftovers will keep covered and chilled for up to 2 days.
Make it a crisp, refreshing, light Italian white such as verdicchio or pecorino.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy salad recipes
Balsamic-roasted beetroot, lemon and couscous salad
Balsamic-roasted beetroot lends this vegetarian couscous salad a gorgeous purple hue! Bring a pop of...
Aubergine salad with shallots and pomegranate molasses
A smoky barbecue side dish recipe by chef Ben Tish, with peppery watercress, sweet shallots...