Grilled mackerel with apple and radish salad
- May 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
This healthy dish lunch is packed with omega-3 rich mackerel and walnuts, Jersey Royal potatoes, crisp apple and radishes to make a filling warm salad.
- 36.6g (5.6g saturated)
- 18.5g (7.8g sugars)
- 200g jersey royals (or other skin-on new potatoes for extra fibre), scrubbed
- 1 green apple, cut into quarters and finely sliced
- 8 radishes, finely sliced
- ½ kohlrabi (or use more radish and apple), finely sliced into matchsticks
- Juice ½ lemon
- 4 sustainable fresh mackerel fillets
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 4 tbsp avocado mayonnaise (from health food shops and delis, or use olive oil-based mayo)
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped dill, plus extra to scatter
- Large handful walnut halves, lightly toasted in a dry pan, then coarsely chopped
- ½ tbsp cider vinegar
- Simmer the jersey royals (or other new potatoes) in a pan of cold water for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the sliced apple, radishes and kohlrabi in the lemon juice to prevent them from discolouring.
- Heat the grill or a ridged griddle pan to medium-high. Brush the mackerel all over with the avocado oil, then grill for 3-4 minutes, skin-side up, under the grill (or skin side down in a griddle pan) until the fish is cooked through and the skin is crisp.
- When cool enough to handle, slice any larger potatoes, then combine them all with the apple, radishes and kohlrabi, along with the mayonnaise, chopped herbs, walnuts and cider vinegar. Season with black pepper, then serve with the mackerel, scattered with more dill.
Know-how: Walnuts are a good source of omega-3s, plus other vitamins and minerals needed to support healthy brain function, boost mood and maintain a healthy gut.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy dinner ideas
Grilled mackerel with orange and basil-dressed pepper salad
Omega 3-rich fresh mackerel pairs perfectly with zingy orange and sweet peppers in this 20-minute...
Easy dinner ideas
Bistro salad with poached egg, croutons, lardons and walnuts
Packed with the wonderful smoky flavours of lardons and crunchy textures of croutons — this...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...