Porcini mushroom and vegetable nut roast
- December 2020
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 1 hour, plus soaking
Forget those uninspiring veggie offerings of Christmases past – this updated porcini mushroom and vegetable nut roast is rich, savoury and satisfying, and comes with a super-cheesy sauce you’ll want to pour over everything. Hands off, meat eaters!
Looking for a veggie centrepiece without the nuts? Try our nut-free Vegetarian Christmas roast.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 31.8g fat (10.7g saturated)
- 20.1g protein
- 38.9g carbs (10.2g sugars)
- 6.4g fibre
- 1g salt
- 30g dried porcini mushrooms
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Splash of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, grated
- A few fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra to garnish
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g pack ready-cooked quinoa
- 60g walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 60g blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 75g vacuum packed cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 2-3 pickled walnuts, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
For the Boursin sauce
- 20g butter
- 20g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 75g Garlic & Herbs Boursin (or other soft cheese with herbs)
- 50g mature cheddar, grated (check it’s vegetarian if you need it to be)
You’ll also need
- 1 litre loaf tin, greased with vegetable oil and fully lined with compostable baking paper
- Put the dried mushrooms in a heatproof bowl, cover with 250ml freshly boiled water, then set aside for 10 minutes to rehydrate.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl and strain over the liquid from the soaked mushrooms. Roughly chop the soaked mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat a splash of oil in a large saucepan or casserole and gently fry the onion, carrot, celery, parsnip and thyme for 10-12 minutes until softened. Add the soaked and fresh mushrooms and the garlic, then cook for a further 5 minutes to soften.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the soaked breadcumbs and the remaining ingredients with some salt and pepper until mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and squash down to make sure it’s tightly packed, then cover with a piece of foil (see Make Ahead). Bake for 45 minutes, remove the foil, then return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until browned and a knife pushed into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a serving plate and scatter with fresh thyme.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1-2 minutes until smelling toasty, then gradually add the milk, whisking well between additions. Bubble for 5 minutes, whisking frequently, to make a thick sauce. Stir in the cheeses until melted, then season to taste (see Make Ahead). Serve alongside the nut roast.
Easy swaps: Use a combo of any nuts you like instead of walnuts and
almonds. Use a vegetarian blue cheese in the sauce instead of the Garlic & Herbs Boursin – we like stilton or cambozola.
Assemble the nut roast and cook the sauce up to a day ahead, allow both to cool completely, then cover and chill until needed. Bring to room temperature
and complete the recipe to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Favourite vegetarian recipes
Butternut, mushroom and chestnut brioche-crust wellington
Calling all vegetarians, this meat-free wellington encased in a chewy brioche crust makes for a...
Vegetarian Christmas dinner recipes
Middle Eastern-spiced nut roast with three-potato topping
This is a nut roast recipe like no other. A mouth-watering mix of nuts, quinoa,...
Vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes
Serve up these vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes to...
Vegetarian Christmas recipes
Enjoy one of our vegetarian Christmas recipes, including...
Vegetarian Christmas starter recipes
Christmas dinner for vegetarians will be wonderful with...
Alternative Christmas roast recipes
Not a fan of turkey or just fancy...